Manchester's Dual Code Rugby Club

(Photos) Mancunians RL win Manchester derby

Mancunians RL beat Manchester Rangers 40-18 in only the second competitive fixture between the two sides, at Hough End on Saturday.

Hosts Mancunians sprinted into a 16-0 lead within 20 minutes of kick off, before the visiting Rangers side closed the gap to just 8 in time for the half time break. Ill-discipline left Rangers with only 12 men on the field for most of the second half, allowing Mancunians to rack up a further four tries and confirm the derby victory.

The Chorlton-based side now sit one point below Manchester Rangers in the Northwest Mens Division 4.

The first two tries came from both Mancunians RL wings. Manning showing his pace to dive over for the first and Bruce stepping around his opposite number just minutes later. In contrast, Mancunians third was a charging prop try from Morgan, placing the ball under the sticks for kicker Holt to secure his second conversion of three attempts.

Galvanised by a strong defensive set finished just metres from their try line, Manchester Rangers worked hard to get onto the scoreboard after 25 minutes, a neat passing drill completed with a well-deserved try, closing the deficit to just 10 points.

Mancunians’ response was almost instant. A clever Holt kick off was collected and shipped wide through several pairs of hands before Turner brought the lead back to 14 points in the hosts’ favour. However, in what was to be the final try of the first half, Rangers again showed team effort, converting effort into points again on the wing.

Making his comeback from retirement, Lewis began the second half scoring right underneath the sticks and the joy on his face was unmissable.

Following a moment of anger in the tackle, Manchester Rangers had a player dismissed and were to face the final 30 minutes of the derby match with just 12 men on the field.

Mancunians scored two tried in the following 10 minutes. Pike topped off a strong performance with a try on the right wing, before Bruce scored his second, diving over in the left corner.

As the rain started to pour, Rangers caught Mancunians being complacent and broke through the middle to score their final try. Johnson closed proceeding with a determined forward try in the dying minutes, Holt converted his fifth of the afternoon to finish the match 40-18 in Mancunians RL’s favour.




Tagged as: ,

%d bloggers like this: