Manchester's Dual Code Rugby Club

Mancunians Improve to see off New Springs

A dominant display from Mancunians’ forwards on a wet and sometimes miserable afternoon, secured a much-needed first win of the season by 4:20.

From the kick-off Mancunians were dominant with O’ Hagan and man of the match Vinny Hughes gaining metres from every play and when Andy Lewis finished a five man move to the left of the posts, the delight was evident from Mancunians.

Debutant Ally Ellis made the break down the right to pierce the line and a quick play the ball allowed O’ Hagan to break through two more defenders and quick hands from Charlie Wilton and Mike Glennon took the ball to the edge for Lewis to score his second try in as many matches.

But the sleet and hail couldn’t chill Mancunians’ enthusiasm and when Mike Burr smashed through the defence three minutes later, Head Coach Mark Brennan was able to remind Mancunians that it was getting simple things right that would win them matches. When Hooker Luke Turner took advantage of a quick play the ball to nip over from dummy half five metres out it began to look like one way traffic with only 20 minutes of the first half gone.

The cold wet weather put paid to several attacks from the Manchester team and New Springs began to find some rhythm and broke the guests’ line to secure some valuable field position and the home team struck back out wide to make it 4-14 at the break despite some committed defence from the Mancunians pack.

However, the pendulum swung Mancunians’ way only moments into the second half when prop Vinny Hughes took a short pass from Mike Glennon on the half way line and outpaced his opponents to run 50m to score.

Mancunians continued to dominate the game into the second half, with New Spring providing possession back to Mancunians early in the tackle count several times but, the game was cruelly cut short when Mancunians were building pressure on their opponents line once again. Mancunians completed their set and from the resulting line clearance Scott Fisher and Mike Glennon combined to complete an innocuous looking tackle but, when the ball carrier didn’t get back to his feet, it was obvious something was wrong.

He had taken a hit from Fisher’s knee on the way down and was heavily concussed and unconscious. An ambulance was called but due to the wintry conditions and once sided nature of the game, the Captains agreed to cease battle and the points were awarded to Mancunians.

It was a cruel end to the game for both the injured player and Mancunians but Man of the Match Vinny Hughes was very encouraged by the team performance. “It’s satisfying to come away with a win. He said. “We’ve worked hard over recent weeks on getting simple things right and when they come off, it proves that we’ve been concentrating on the right things”. We can work on them again in training this week and look towards playing against Chester next weekend”.


Tagged as: , , , , , ,

Categorised in: News, Rugby League

%d bloggers like this: